The first R18+ game is a Wii U title published by Nintendo

by Ben Salter 21 Comments 20 Likes 5,298 Views 11/01/2013 Back to Wii U news Ninja Gaiden 3

The first R18+ game is a Wii U title, published by Nintendo

The first game to be granted an R18+ adults only classification under new legislation will be Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge on Wii U.

It's the first game to receive the adult's only rating, after it came into effect at the start of the year.

News first broke on Twitter, via Vooks, before being confirmed in a press release.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 version of Ninja Gaiden 3 was given the highest possible MA15+ rating when it was released in March, 2012.

However, the Wii U version is an enhanced port, and supposedly considerably more violent than the original release, prompting the classification board to restrict its sale to adults.

Director of the Classification Board Lesley O’Brien revealed that an R18+ rating had been selected because of "high impact bloody violence".

“Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge contains violence that is high in impact because of its frequency, high definition graphics, and emphasis on blood effects,” said Ms O'Brien.

Had it been released last year with the added violence, before the introduction of an R18+ rating for video games, it should have been banned from sale.

It is illegal for retailers to sell R18+ games to people under 18.

By Ben Salter

Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

The first R18+ game is a Wii U title published by Nintendo Comments

  • Atomic10 2764 XP 11/01/2013
    How funny the first R rated game is on a Nintendo console.
  • xxLCr0wxx 6495 XP 11/01/2013

    Atomic10 said: How funny the first R rated game is on a Nintendo console.


    that is funny


    not only that it proves to all the idiot xbox/ps3 noobs
    that nintendo does have adult for us hardcore wii gamers
  • Leave your comment Log in with Facebook
  • xsketch69x 6 XP 11/01/2013
    The Wii still sucks
  • Damian363 1 XP 11/01/2013
    [Rage]
  • chucky110 35978 XP 11/01/2013
    Yep and I bet you have had plenty of ours on a Wii U to prove that. Or you are just being stupid. I go for the fact you are just being stupid and haven't even touched one
  • Harry 77527 XP 11/01/2013
    Haha that's awesome.. looks like I'll have to pick this up when I cometh of the age. Any idea on a release date?
  • chucky110 35978 XP 11/01/2013
    Oh and yes it is funny how Nintendo get the first R rated game
  • Tano 337044 XP 11/01/2013
    Don't be ridiculous, xxLCr0wxx. Everyone knows Nintendo is for teh kiddies.

    XBOX 4 LYF!!11
  • SlappyWag 3755 XP 11/01/2013
    At least it has been used.
  • Tsunamo 74395 XP 11/01/2013

    Had it been released last year with the added violence, before the introduction of an R18+ rating for video games, it should have been banned from sale.


    It most likely would have got a MA15+ classification, as the vanilla version of the game did when it was released.
  • Pilkingbod 99623 XP 11/01/2013
    I'm curious now.
    Increased violence? [Derp] [Derp]
  • kangle4 26140 XP 11/01/2013
    Kids will want this now just because it's forbidden.
  • Olly 32699 XP 11/01/2013
    This is out today in the UK, shops open in a couple of hours and I've got the day to myself so I might as well check this out!
  • xxLCr0wxx 6495 XP 11/01/2013
    whatever go back to your console theres A NOOB RING OF DEATH waiting for you
  • stonecold 32651 XP 11/01/2013

    xxLCr0wxx said:

    Atomic10 said: How funny the first R rated game is on a Nintendo console.


    that is funny
    not only that it proves to all the idiot xbox/ps3 noobs
    that nintendo does have adult for us hardcore wii gamers


    Lol [Facepalm] A enhanced port doesn't count
  • Pilkingbod 99623 XP 11/01/2013

    stonecold said:
    Lol A enhanced port doesn't count


    Why not? It's still being released on a Nintendo console... what does it matter where it came from?
  • sjt333 230948 XP 11/01/2013

    Pilkingbod said:

    stonecold said:
    Lol A enhanced port doesn't count


    Why not? It's still being released on a Nintendo console... what does it matter where it came from?


    because its not a real game because its not on a real console The first R18+ game is a Wii U title published by Nintendo
  • xxLCr0wxx 6495 XP 11/01/2013

    sjt333 said:


    Pilkingbod said:


    stonecold said:
    Lol A enhanced port doesn't count


    Why not? It's still being released on a Nintendo console... what does it matter where it came from?


    because its not a real game because its not on a real console


    just because some are port game don't mean there not real games
  • sjt333 230948 XP 11/01/2013

    xxLCr0wxx said:

    sjt333 said:


    Pilkingbod said:


    stonecold said:
    Lol A enhanced port doesn't count


    Why not? It's still being released on a Nintendo console... what does it matter where it came from?


    because its not a real game because its not on a real console


    whatever go back to your console there a NOOB ring of death waiting for you


    zoom!
  • Harry 77527 XP 11/01/2013
    lmao lCr0w i think you missed the joke :)
  • K4ZMA 388022 XP 12/01/2013
    He can't get the joke, his mind is clouded from binging on all those Black Ops WiiU montages.

    All three of them.
Leave your comment Log in with Facebook