'That was Link' in Zelda Wii U trailer and rumours it was a girl 'kind of grew' - Aonuma

by Ben Salter 16 Comments 6 Likes 92,938 Views 12/06/2014 Back to Wii U news Wii U
'That was Link in Zelda Wii U trailer' - Aonuma

That was Link you saw in Nintendo's tease of the Wii U Zelda during the E3 Digital Event, and it wasn't a female version, despite online speculation.

Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma told MMGN the comment leading to rumours the character we saw might not be Link was taken out of context, and was intended as a joke.

"It's a rumour," Aonuma said with a chuckle when I asked him about the speculation buzzing around online.

"Actually that comment I made jokingly," he said. "It's not that I said that it wasn't Link. It's that I never said that it was Link. It's not really the same thing, but I can understand how it could be taken that way.

"It seems like it has kind of taken off where people are saying 'oh it's a female character' and it just kind of grew. But my intent in saying that [was humour]. You know, you have to show Link when you create a trailer for a Zelda announcement."

However, he doesn't want players to focus too much on Link's appearance in the trailer.

"I don't want people to get hung up on the way Link looks because ultimately Link represents the player in the game," he said.

"I don't want to define him so much that it becomes limiting to the players. I want players to focus on other parts of the trailer and not specifically on the character because the character Link represents, again, the player."

Vote for this article Log in with Facebook

'That was Link' in Zelda Wii U trailer and rumours it was a girl 'kind of grew' - Aonuma Comments

  • Patrick812 93 XP 12/06/2014
    It was obvious that it was Link, and yet some of the theories and rumours were just... well, glad this is all put to bed at least.
  • Gryllis 340844 XP 12/06/2014
    And here's me with Mr. Aonuma + Mr. Hayashi + Mr. Koinuma

  • Leave your comment Log in with Facebook
  • Azza 40752 XP 13/06/2014
    40,000 views on this article haha.
  • Ondine 2 XP 13/06/2014
    I think Nintendo seriously missed an opportunity to give Zelda the role of Hero in this latest game. I mean... in the trailer link is using a bow (right handed? Link is left handed. we all know this) ...with what looks l like light arrows which has always been Zelda's weapon of choice. It is absolutely possible that at some point of the hero's reincarnation that MAYBE he is girl? Maybe roles are reversed? I like the concept revealed so far for this game. It looks amazing, and I'm sure I'll love it to pieces just like all the other loz games I've played. I kinda feel like Nintendo took a step forward....but with the wrong foot.
  • Vanquish 3191 XP 13/06/2014
    I think this must fall under the Wind Waker Timeline. Link is wearing similar clothes to that of the hero from WW at the start (And in Hero Mode). But that might just be me sounding stupid.

    Oh god this article has 68,209 Views. HOW!?

    Also nice job on getting a photo with them Gryllis.
  • metalliguy 54301 XP 13/06/2014

    @Azza said: 40,000 views on this article haha.


    It was linked from mynintendonews.

    That's how I found it [MOG]
  • Sendero 2 XP 13/06/2014

    @Ondine said: I think Nintendo seriously missed an opportunity to give Zelda the role of Hero in this latest game. I mean... in the trailer link is using a bow (right handed? Link is left handed. we all know this) ...with what looks l like light arrows which has always been Zelda's weapon of choice. It is absolutely possible that at some point of the hero's reincarnation that MAYBE he is girl? Maybe roles are reversed? I like the concept revealed so far for this game. It looks amazing, and I'm sure I'll love it to pieces just like all the other loz games I've played. I kinda feel like Nintendo took a step forward....but with the wrong foot.

    Uhh, no thanks. You bring up him being left handed? He's right handed in multiple games now (Which I was quite mad about when it was first shown.) since with the Wii-mote, it was easier for people to use their right hand. And no, no one wants to see any genderswapping, this isn't tumblr, it's a video game franchise.
  • tabytha 2 XP 13/06/2014

    @Sendero said:

    And no, no one wants to see any genderswapping, this isn't tumblr, it's a video game franchise.



    This might come as a shock.... But girls play video game franchises. Like, a LOT of girls. I'd wager that most Zelda fans today are girls, since Nintendo gets such a bad rep for being "immature" from a lot of dudebros. Asking for a female-led game in the franchise - or even the ability to choose between male and female, which female gamers would be more than content with - is really not a big deal, dude, and it's certainly not a hallmark of HERP DERP TYPICAL TUMBLR FEMINIST OPPRESSION OF MALES. The Zelda universe demands certain things of the hero named Link - namely, courage. Not even necessarily being named Link. And having balls doesn't have to be one of the demands, either. :)
  • snuffem 2 XP 14/06/2014


    This might come as a shock.... But girls play video game franchises. Like, a LOT of girls. I'd wager that most Zelda fans today are girls, since Nintendo gets such a bad rep for being "immature" from a lot of dudebros. Asking for a female-led game in the franchise - or even the ability to choose between male and female, which female gamers would be more than content with - is really not a big deal, dude, and it's certainly not a hallmark of HERP DERP TYPICAL TUMBLR FEMINIST OPPRESSION OF MALES. The Zelda universe demands certain things of the hero named Link - namely, courage. Not even necessarily being named Link. And having balls doesn't have to be one of the demands, either.



    Hey, just because a large population of girls play video games doesn't means that they should make a female (main) protagonist or switch a recurring game feature. I'm a girl myself and honestly don't care about having female/male roles. I'm just glad that there's a new up and coming Zelda game. I've also always seen Zelda as a heroine in the series, so I'm not sure why everyone is complaining that there's no heroic female. Just because she isn't playable doesn't mean there aren't enjoyable female protagonists. (And who knows, she could still be playable.) :O


    Oh and, "having balls" is completely misinterpreting how the developer wanted Link's role to be taken. It even says how feels about his gender in the article.
    "I don't want to define him so much that it becomes limiting to the players. I want players to focus on other parts of the trailer and not specifically on the character because the character Link represents, again, the player."
  • Odhinnson 2 XP 14/06/2014

    @tabytha said:

    @Sendero said:

    And no, no one wants to see any genderswapping, this isn't tumblr, it's a video game franchise.


    This might come as a shock.... But girls play video game franchises. Like, a LOT of girls. I'd wager that most Zelda fans today are girls, since Nintendo gets such a bad rep for being "immature" from a lot of dudebros. Asking for a female-led game in the franchise - or even the ability to choose between male and female, which female gamers would be more than content with - is really not a big deal, dude, and it's certainly not a hallmark of HERP DERP TYPICAL TUMBLR FEMINIST OPPRESSION OF MALES. The Zelda universe demands certain things of the hero named Link - namely, courage. Not even necessarily being named Link. And having balls doesn't have to be one of the demands, either.



    Look at the curse in Skyward Sword from Demise. They're cursed to REPRISE their ROLES. They're not cursed to reincarnate. They are to play out the same scenario through the ages: the Goddess Hylia (Zelda) and the Hero (Link) against the Demon King (Demise/Ganon/Ganondorf).

    The story limits itself.. it is simply not canon to EVER gender swap the characters. Full stop.
  • GB5000 2 XP 14/06/2014
    What a terrible misunderstanding. Link can't be female! Link is always going to do a great adventure to beat an evil thing who is going to destroy the world. It must have more stamina and powerful strengthes. And, about his design, i don't see it is a girl. Check these out. Yugioh Zexal Three Yugioh Zexal Five Naruto Haku Inazuma Eleven Kirino Ask google with these names. And learn what japanese style is. They aren't female. They are exact men. These characters are also famous chracters in each anime.
  • Why 4 XP 15/06/2014

    @GB5000 said: What a terrible misunderstanding.
    Link can't be female! Link is always going to do a great adventure to beat an evil thing who is going to destroy the world. It must have more stamina and powerful strengthes.
    And, about his design, i don't see it is a girl.
    Check these out.
    Yugioh Zexal Three
    Yugioh Zexal Five
    Naruto Haku
    Inazuma Eleven Kirino
    Ask google with these names.
    And learn what japanese style is.
    They aren't female. They are exact men.
    These characters are also famous chracters in each anime.


    Woah buddy. Are you sure you're in 2014? Women are plenty strong enough to save the world.
  • Why 4 XP 15/06/2014
    The curse in Skyward Sword is not enough. Curses are broken all the time in Zelda games. If Nintendo did make this Link female, I'm proud of how they did, making her not super busty and having just as much clothing on her body, strength, and ability as male Link.
  • OrngLttce 7 XP 17/06/2014
    I don't know, that Clockwork Empire pitch looked pretty cool and it had Zelda as a lead...
    dresdencodak.tumblr.com/...
  • skwash1983 2 XP 10/07/2014
    I've been a Los fan for along time. Started with link to the past. Played the originals and enjoyed everyone since then. I love this franchise. I mean deep soul love. I just want the bosses to look mature and scary looking. They're monsters after all. Zelda and link switching roles really doesn't bother me all that much. Or since they don't really have voices( except grunts and yells) what if you could choose which to play swapping roles in your decision. That actually seems like a cool idea.
Leave your comment Log in with Facebook