When you boot up the Destiny beta this weekend (or next for Xbox One owners), you'll be asked to create a character and select a class.
Thankfully, you can create and level-up multiple characters, so don't stress too much about which one you choose: you can always create another character and level them up simultaneously.
There are three classes in Destiny: Hunter, Titan and Warlock
Each characters, as you'd expect, comes with its own unique set of skills and abilities.
The Hunter, for example, is highly efficient at long range, and brutal and close range: it's the perfect killing machine class.
The Titan is essentially a walking, talking tank. They are ideal for holding the line and protecting an area.
Finally, the Warlock is Destiny's special character: they can use special magic blasts to take out an enemy.
Background: Hunters used to be outlaws roaming the wastelands.They now act as surprisingly useful anarchists, providing the necessary resources and skills during battle.
Skills: Hunters are mobile, and have a wide range of powerful abilities. They are slow to heal, however, which makes their efficiency at long-range and stealth particularly useful when playing as one- .
Grenade - Incendiary (Solar)
This explosive grenade catches fire whenever it hits an enemy, causing additional damage over a short period of time.
- Swarm Grenade - This grenade detonates on impact, releaing drones that seek out and latch onto enemies nearby.
- Tripmine Grenade - This explosive grenade sticks to surfaces and detonates when enemies pass through its trigger.
Movement Ability - Double Jump
Double-jump in the air after an initial jump.
- Better Control (upgrade) - This upgrade provides better control while in the air during a double-jump.
- Triple Jump (upgrade) - This adds a third jump.
- Higher Jump (upgrade) - Adds higher maximum height for double-jump.
Super - Golden Gun (Solar)
This powerful pistol disintegrates enemies with Solar Light.
- Deadeye (upgrade) - Increases accuracy.
- Combustion (upgrade) - Killing an enemy with this weapon causes them to explode.
- Gunfighter (upgrade) - The gun cools down faster, allowing more frequent use.
Throw a knife from a distance.
- Circle of Life - If the Golden Gun is active when throwing a knife, its power duration will be extended.
- Incendiary Blade - The knife catches fire when it hits an enemy.
- Knife Juggler - Any precision kill will result in an automatic cooldown for the throwing knife.
This training focuses on speed and toughness.
- Path Forbidden - Training focused on battle recovery and speed.
- Path Unknown - Training focused on battle recovery and toughness.
Picking up ammo will result in an automatic cooldown of your grenades and throwing knife.
- Keyhole - This allows the throwing knife to penetrate multiple enemies, resulting in a multi-kill.
- Gunslingers Trance - Increases weapon stability with every precision kill.
Way of the Drifter
This training focuses on all Hunter attributes.
- Way of the Fearless - Toughness at all costs.
- Way of the Nomad - Focused on enhancing battle recovery.
Chain of Woe
Each precision kill increases weapon reload speed, stacked three times maximum.
- Over the Horizon - Golden Gun range increased
- Gamblers Dagger - Adds an additional throwing knife.
Background: The Titans built the Wall, and sacrificed themselves during the collapse of the Golden Age. They are merciless, having been forged from strengthn and sacrifice.
Skills: Titans can take a lot of damage, but can also give a lot of it out, too. They are slow, but they can take a punch so it doesn't make a difference. Being close-range for melee and weapon attacks shows the true power of the Titans.
This grenade damages enemies but also disorientates them momentarily.
- Pulse Grenade - This grenade will destroy enemies within its blast radius.
- Lightning Grenade - This grenade can stick to walls and let out powerful bolts of lightning.
Jumping and then pressing X while in the air will activate Lift.
- Increased Height (upgrade) - Travel to greater height.
- Increased Control (upgrade) - Better directional control while in the air.
- Catapult (upgrade) - Adds an added burst of momentum when Lift is activated.
Fist of Havoc
Use the Arc Light when smashing the ground to dissolve nearby enemies.
- Aftermath (upgrade) - Leaves an extra range field after activated.
- Death from Above (upgrade) - Can make Fist of Havoc usable while jumping.
- Shockwave (upgrade) - Sends out a powerful wave of energy along the ground.
A melee attack with double damage.
- Overload (upgrade) - Effective hits result in an immediate cooldown.
- Discharge (upgrade) - Effective hits result in damage radius around the enemy.
- Illuminated (upgrade) - Kills with Storm Fist reduce Fist of Havoc cooldown.
Titan Codex I
Training focused on improving toughness and recovery.
- Titan Codex II - Improves speed and toughness.
- Titan Codex III - Improves battle recovery and speed.
Springing will increase the leap distance of Fist of Havoc.
- Aftermath - Increases duration of Pulse Grenade, Shock Grenade and Aftermath.
- Transfusion - Melee attack kills immediately trigger health regeneration.
Titan Codex IV
This training focuses on all Titan attributes.
- Titan Codex V - Maximum battle recovery.
- Titan Codex VI - Raw speed.
Using Fist of Havoc makes Titan very hard to kill.
- Shoulder Charge - Sprint for a short time, and then press R1/RB to unleash a powerful melee attack.
- Juggernaut - Gain a protective shield after sprinting for a short time.
Background: The Warlocks strudied the Traveler, learning to control some of its most powerful magical energies. The Warlock are fuelled by a desire to discover the true purpose and identity of the Traveler.
This grenade creates a vortex, damaging any enemies caught up in it.
- Scatter Grenade - This grenade splits up, dealing more damage over a wider range.
- Axion Bolt - This is a powerful burst of Void Light, forking into smaller bolts on impact which seek toward enemies.
Jump and press X to activate Glide.
- Focused Control (upgrade) - Better directional controls while in the air.
- Focused Burst (upgrade) - Adds an initial boost of speed.
- Blink (upgrade) - Distance teleport, which replaces glide.
Using a powerful blast of Void Light, this disintegrates anyone within its blast.
- Vortex (upgrade) - Creates a Vortex.
- Shatter (upgrade) - Splits out three other projectiles.
- Lance (upgrade) - Nova Bomb travels farther and faster.
This melee attack drains energy from enemies while also reducing cooldown for grenades.
- Surge (upgrade) - Increases movement speed for a short time with every Energy Drain kill.
- Life Steal (upgrade) - Immediately restores a significant portion of your health for every Energy Drain kill.
- Soul Rip (upgrade) - Reduces the cooldown of Nova Bomb for every Energy Drain kill.
Training focused on battle recovery and speed.
- Arcane Spirit - Training focused on battle recovery and toughness.
- Arcane Force - Training focused on toughness and speed.
Added range for Axion Bolt seekers while also increasing duration of the Vortex effect of Nova Bomb and Vortex Grenade.
- Bent Gravity (upgrade) - Increases the range of grenades and Nova Bomb.
- The Hunger (upgrade) - Increases the duration of the Energy Drain effect.
Training focused on all attributes.
- Chaos Order - Training focused on raw speed.
- Divine Order - Training focused on toughness at all costs.
Nova Bomb tracks enemies.
- Embrace the Void - Damaging enemies with Nova Bomb or any grenade triggers the Energy Drain effect.
- Bloom - Enemies killed by any of your abilities explode.